Saturday, March 24

DEAR DAD

I found this vintage book full of short poems in a little thrift store in Alpine Texas the other day. It's called To My Dad and inside the front cover someone had written 'To my father, much love from Alice - December 1923'. 

So I bought it for my Dad. Tomorrow will be the third year I celebrate his birthday without him here. And I think I will spend the day somewhere beautiful thinking about how much I miss him and reading him this book. 

'Dear Dad, as your daughter takes a backward glance over the road of her youth before rounding the corner of new duties, she sees the way lighted by the sacrifices of fatherly love; she sees burdens not dropped but made easier to bare; she sees wise and helpful counsel which guided past days of temptation and nights of discouragement; and in every weary hour she found always a sane counsellor, a sympathetic friend in her dear Dad.'
- By Grace Berenice Cooper 

1 comment: