Wednesday, May 30

SAN FRANCISCO











We went on to spend a whole week in San Francisco. By now Kieran had grown tired of driving so I took the wheel for the entire 6 hour drive from Hollywood. It was a little different to what we had been used to. There was no desert or cactus to be seen out my window, instead the road hugged a coastal shore throughout the entire journey, with nothing but small breaks of strawberry fields and prairie’s along the way. We arrived at dusk just as the bright lights of the city were coming to life. I looked up and there were tall buildings with fire escapes and an abundant of cafes and restaurants along the sidewalks of its busy streets. I could already tell we were going to have a lot of fun here.

The first full morning we woke up in San Francisco, we saw a pamphlet on a street pole advertising a 80’s Prom Disco Party that was taking place that Saturday night, we talked about how fun it would be to go and not long after Kieran asked me to go to the prom with him. All excited we went on an escapade driving around the entire city stopping into every vintage clothing store we could find. On the night, we got dressed in our 80’s Prom attire and spent hours drinking and talking on the fire escape of our hotel room before heading off for our big night. It had been a long time since Kieran and I were out somewhere long enough where you were there until they turn on the lights and lead the left over crowd out. But that night was one of those nights. 

I danced to many songs I had only ever danced to in the privacy of my own bedroom walls growing up. Throughout the night, the roof was filled with floating helium balloons and a shimmering disco ball, as we left a lady handed me two dozens of bright coloured helium balloons to take home with me. Because of this, no taxi would take us home with them in my hands, so Kieran and I decided to walk. We walked down busy streets and quite alleyways. It took us well over an hour to get back to our hotel, although it felt like no time at all. 

I woke up the next morning and asked Kieran where half of my balloons went. He laughed at me and reminded me that I made it my mission to give them out to people we walked past so that I could fill the streets with colour during our walk home. Then I thought to myself – only in San Francisco would I get away with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment